Founded in 2010, REFRESH* is an architectural design studio, based in West End, Brisbane, Australia offering personalised and collaborative architectural services with a strong focus on design.
Regardless of the size or scale of a project, they are pleased to take on any commission where true design challenges may exist
REFRESH* specialises in creating contemporary and tailor-made, yet, highly functional residential spaces, offices and commercial venues. Design expertise in residential structures, include: single residences, townhouses, apartment buildings, multi generational dwellings (‘gardenhouses’), subdivisions and small to medium scale developments.
The practice adheres to the following key principles:
- A comprehensive understanding of our client’s brief is a quintessential element for the success of every project.
- The beginning of every project is an in-depth investigation of the context of the site and the local precinct. Physical, cultural, historical and social attributes are superimposed to consider the different influences specific to each project, leading to unconventional yet pragmatic solutions and responses.
- Looking above and beyond the norm to capture the underlying essence and spirit of a project to produce outcomes that consistently surpass the expectations of our clients.
- Responsible and creative resource allocation, adhering to ESD (ecologically sustainable design), and especially, passive solar design principles, is a fundamental consideration for every project.
- The practice is highly experienced in working with not-for-profit organisations and within business sectors to deliver well-considered and effective communication tools.
Erhard Rathmayr and Monika Obrist graduated with Masters in Architecture from TU Graz (Austria) in 1999. During this time, the pair travelled to Spain and Mexico to study the architectural influences in these regions.
Returning to Austria, Erhard co-founded the Austrian architectural design studio Innocad, while Monika worked in architecture and visual communications, perfecting her skills as a designer, while working for other design houses in Austria.
The duo then set their sites on Australia and combined their expertise to establish REFRESH* in 2010. With inspiration to combine European design and the diversity of the Australian environment, the decision to relocate permanently was made.
Since then, the team has grown to include Corinne Trang and Ashneel Maharaj, now adding a vast experience to each project.
Corinne Trang joined REFRESH* in 2015 after having worked locally for prominent architectural practices. Growing up in France, she completed her studies with masters at the ESAG Penninghen in Paris. Corinne has accumulated a variety of project experience from working in France, Hong Kong, Beijing and Melbourne.
This international exposure has honed Corinne’s design aesthetics and truly adds flair to her projects. With a keen eye for design, Corinne thoroughly enjoys a challenge and pushing the boundaries.
As a registered architect, Ashneel brings with him a broad spectrum of architectural experience spanning over a decade and at all levels of project design and delivery. Graduating with the design prize as well as honours in architecture, Ashneel has pursued his passion through work on a range of project types and scales, including award winning and boutique residential projects. He has also served on the New Houses Awards Jury for the Australian Institute of Architects. Ashneel is a sessional academic at Queensland University of Technology and The University of Queensland.
REFRESH* has been awarded with national and international residential awards for their projects. The studio is located within a refurbished industrial building, which boasts a large open floor plan and encourages a collaborative work environment in a multidisciplinary hub of creative like-minded professionals, including: The Raiders, Goldi Design and IAA.